"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
First of all, Happy MLK Day! Martin Luther King Jr was one of the most inspiring American men of recent history and I am so thankful for him and his message of love. Have a great day celebrating!
I am actually really excited about this post. For whatever reason, it is so much fun to go back and look at the different outfits I wore over the course of the year. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I really don't consider myself to be that into fashion, but posting my outfits on this blog has been so helpful to me. My style has really developed and I have invested in a better wardrobe. I have never felt so comfortable with the clothes in my closet as I have this year. My budget, and my husband, thank me.
Last year's Top Outfit Posts of 2012 was a fun post too, but it is really interesting to look back and see how things have changed in the past year. If you're not into outfits, at least enjoy the progression of the alleyway behind me from winter to fall, and watch my hair get longer. It's sure to occupy you for a few seconds.
1. aztec sweater and green jeans This picture makes me sad that I don't have that sweater anymore (it shrunk in the dryer so I gave it to a much smaller friend). I love the combo of the pinstripe shirt and patterned sweater with the bright pants.
2. wearing a military vest at work Ah, the military vest. Every style blogger's best friend. It really is such a great layering piece.
3. hunters and striped dress This might have been my post popular outfit post this year... I don't know if it's the boots or the dress or what, but I do like the way it turned out. Simplicity at its finest.
4. stripes on stripes This outfit was also popular (apparently April was my best-dressed month?), and it was also a personal favorite. I love maxis and and I love making them work-appropriate.
5. floral pants and gray tee Those pants were probably my favorite purchase of the year. I mean, they're just so... fun. Just look at my face: does that not scream "fun" to you?
6. blue, yellow and green This actually might have been my favorite outfit this year. I have had each item that I am wearing for a long time so it was slightly exciting to put them together in a new way. And this outfit just feels like me.
7. 4th of july festive I've worn this outfit two 4th of July's in a row and I love it so much I'm sure it will make an appearance in 2014.
8. green and white I'm a sucker for green, so this skirt (given to me by a wonderful friend!) has been on constant rotation for the past few years.
9. sweet birthday outfit besides the hilarious pose (look at that hair flip!), I love this outfit for how simple it is. It seems all a pretty skirt needs is a simple chambray.
10. lots of blue I love this outfit. I am so glad I tried the tone-on-tone look with these pants.
11. maxi dress for work This wasn't a reader favorite, but it was one of my favorites for sure. I just love maxis and I love that I finally put these two items together.
12. green and chambray despite the wrinkly nature of the skirt, I really like the way this turned out. Probably because you know, of that whole "sucker for green" thing.
13. floral pants for fall one of my goals in blogging my outfits is to wear things different ways. Even though the pants are pretty summer-y, I was glad that I figured out how to wear them for fall.
5 things I learned about my style from these pictures:
- I like color. Honestly, that kind of surprised me. I usually view myself as a gray and black type of person, but it turns out that I feel most confident when wearing color. I think I will try to incorporate more color into my outfits in the future.
- Stripes and floral take the cake. Those are my patterns, people. I tried to incorporate a few new patterns in there, but those are just my favorite.
- I prefer skirts to pants. I already knew this one, but seeing it in real life made it more real. I think skirts are more comfortable and more flattering. Win-win.
- Necklaces can really make an outfit. I am NOT a jewelry person (you'll never see me with a million bangles on my wrist, no matter how cool it is), but most of my favorite outfits featured necklaces. This is the first year that I've really worn necklaces and I am so glad I did.
- Chambray is the best thing ever. I don't know what I did before chambray existed. I dearly hope that it will never go out of style. Somehow I wore my favorite chambray shirt even more this year than last.
Which outfit was your favorite? What did you learn about your own personal style by looking back on what you wore during the year?