It started out like this:
The sides of the "nook" looked like this:
Yeah, I know. The insides of the cabinets looked just as bad:
The good news is this is a before and after post, so there is a happy ending :)
This is what we did to get to the "after:"
- We painted. We used the same color as the kitchen (I have no idea what color it is - the previous owners painted the kitchen so we just had the paint color matched). Everything flows together so much nicer now.
- We also bought a new stand-alone cabinet (from IKEA, but I think it looks surprisingly vintage) to store all of Winston's food, dog shampoo, leashes, etc.
- I also added curtains (also from IKEA) in order to have the ability to close off the nook if need be. I also made an easy triangle banner for the window.
- I organized all of the cabinets, added a few accessories and just cleaned it up a little bit.
Annnnnnd... here is the finished product!
I'm kind of in love.
Here is what the sides of the room look like these days:
Much, much better.
One more before and after: